With no.2 due imminently I’m getting my breastfeeding bits together for hospital.
Now all you really need are boobs but there are a few other bits that make life easier:
- Breastfeeding cushion - a u shaped cushion really helps those first few weeks with a tiny baby. The cheap and cheerful ones do just fine!
- Comfy clothes – either front opening or I found it more convenient to wear a vest top under a t-shirt and then pull t-shirt up and vest down (this keeps a lot covered too).
- Breastpads – cotton reusable washable ones are very comfortable but some people might prefer the convenience of disposable ones while in hospital.
- Lahnisoh cream – great for moisturising during those first few days.
- Breastfeeding bras – I particularly like the drop cup ones. Only two as breast size changes a few times as the milk comes in and then again as the supply settles.
- ‘The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding’ book by La Leche League.
- Contact details for breastfeeding support groups.
- Most important - lots of determination, patience and a sense of humour.